Smoking ice potions
Dry ice: a nice souvenir from our trip to the planet Mars. Kids will learn all about this mysterious, icy substance (-78°C) while taking part in several mind-blowing experiments: the Caribou song, the queen dance, geysers of Iceland, erupting volcanoes, jumping cap contests, bubbling witch’s brew, ghoulish pot… A magic show they’ll be sure not to forget!
Objectives at the elementary level
- Distinguish between the states of matter (solid, liquid and gas)
- Compare the states of matter of carbon dioxide with water (H2O).
- Experiment with the sublimation of dry ice.
- Use simple measurement tools (tong, dropper and graduated bottle).
- Formulate hypotheses on the outcome of the mixtures.
|Type of service
Children's parties, Christmas party, Classroom workshop, Community workshop (50 years and older), Daycare centers and CPEs, Organizational events, Pedagogical day, Wedding
Elementary: grade 2, Elementary: grade 3, Elementary: grade 4, Elementary: grade 5, Elementary: grade 6, Multi-age, Secondary: grade 10, Secondary: grade 7, Secondary: grade 8, Secondary: grade 9, Secondary: grades 11 and 12, Elementary: grades 1 and 2, Elementary: grades 3 and 4, Elementary: grades 5 and 6, Preschool and kindergarten, Secondary: grades 7 and 8, Secondary: grades 9 to 12
75 minutes, 60 minutes
- A sink must be available close to the areas where the animation activities will take place.
- If there isn’t much time between activities, it is strongly recommended to set up the animation activities in the same area.
- Six teams must be created before the science animator arrives.
- This workshop is not available on Monday mornings.