Smoking ice potions
Dry ice: a nice souvenir from our trip to the planet Mars. Kids will learn all about this mysterious, icy substance (-78°C) while taking part in several mind-blowing experiments: the Caribou song, the queen dance, geysers of Iceland, erupting volcanoes, jumping cap contests, bubbling witch’s brew, ghoulish pot… A magic show they’ll be sure not to forget!
Objectives at the elementary level
- Distinguish between the states of matter (solid, liquid and gas)
- Compare the states of matter of carbon dioxide with water (H2O).
- Experiment with the sublimation of dry ice.
- Use simple measurement tools (tong, dropper and graduated bottle).
- Formulate hypotheses on the outcome of the mixtures.
|Type of service
Children's parties, Christmas party, Classroom workshop, Community workshop (50 years and older), Daycare centers and CPEs, Organizational events, Pedagogical day, Wedding
Elementary: 1st year, Elementary: 2nd year, Elementary: 3rd year, Elementary: 4th year, Elementary: 5th year, Elementary: 6th year, Multi-age, Elementary: cycle 1, Elementary: cycle 2, Elementary: cycle 3, Preschool
75 minutes, 60 minutes, Package A (Pedagogical day), Package B (Pedagogical day), Package C (Pedagogical day)
- A sink must be available close to the areas where the animation activities will take place.
- If there isn’t much time between activities, it is strongly recommended to set up the animation activities in the same area.
- Six teams must be created before the science animator arrives.
- This workshop is not available on Monday mornings.