Smoking ice potions
Dry ice: a nice souvenir from our trip to the planet Mars. Kids will learn all about this mysterious, icy substance (-78°C) while taking part in several mind-blowing experiments: the Caribou song, the queen dance, geysers of Iceland, erupting volcanoes, jumping cap contests, bubbling witch’s brew, ghoulish pot… A magic show they’ll be sure not to forget!
Objectives at the elementary level
- Distinguish between the states of matter (solid, liquid and gas)
- Compare the states of matter of carbon dioxide with water (H2O).
- Experiment with the sublimation of dry ice.
- Use simple measurement tools (tong, dropper and graduated bottle).
- Formulate hypotheses on the outcome of the mixtures.
|Type of service
Children's parties, Christmas party, Classroom workshop, Community workshop (50 years and older), Daycare centers and CPEs, Organizational events, Pedagogical day, Wedding
50 years and older, Business, Educator, Elementary: cycle 1, Elementary: cycle 2, Elementary: cycle 3, Group, Library, Organizer of the party, Other, Preschool, Wedding Organizer
60 minutes, 90 minutes, Package A (Pedagogical day), Package B (Pedagogical day), Package C (Pedagogical day)
- A sink must be available close to the areas where the animation activities will take place.
- If there isn’t much time between activities, it is strongly recommended to set up the animation activities in the same area.
- Six teams must be created before the science animator arrives.
- This workshop is not available on Monday mornings.