An explosion of colours
Is it transformation of molecules or change in appearance? Is it chemistry or physics? Discover your talents as a chemist by concocting your own potions! Youths will participate in three colour experiments by making dye for jeans, an anti-dandruff shampoo and using a pH indicator to top it off. These experiments also give us the chance to introduce some concepts in physics, such as the primary colours of light and the density of liquids. We have a special surprise at the end of this workshop. Experience a magnificent explosion of colours!
For 30 more minutes:
Prepare to be mesmerized as we strike the perfect balance of safe and explosive experiments to make elephant toothpaste. The result is a very colourful exothermic chemical reaction and lots of smoke!
Objectives at the elementary level
- Differentiate between physical and chemical reactions.
- Formulate hypotheses on the outcome of the mixtures.
- Use simple measurement tools (tong, test tube, dropper, graduated bottle and spoon).
- Understand the concept of a molecule and water (H2O).
- Recognize the safety signs.
|Type of service
Children's parties, Christmas party, Classroom workshop, Community workshop (50 years and older), Daycare centers and CPEs, Organizational events, Pedagogical day, Wedding
Elementary: 1st year, Elementary: 2nd year, Elementary: 3rd year, Elementary: 4th year, Multi-age, Elementary: cycle 1, Elementary: cycle 2, Preschool
60 minutes, Package A (Pedagogical day), Package B (Pedagogical day), Package C (Pedagogical day)
- A sink must be available close to the areas where the animation activities will take place.
- If there isn’t much time between activities, it is strongly recommended to set up the animation activities in the same area.
- Six teams must be formed before the science animator arrives.