Architecture – Bridges and Buildings
Solid constructions using small wooden sticks!
Obtain your LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification after completing the architectural challenge that consists of four workshops where you are guided through the construction of a one-metre bridge or a 50-cm building of your choice! This turnkey project shows aspiring architects how to use small wooden sticks and liquid glue to build a bridge capable of supporting a four-kilogram weight or a building capable of resisting a 15-second earthquake. Sturdier than concrete, more beautiful than the Burj Khalifa skyscraper, come surprise us with your eco-friendly constructions!
On the menu:
1) Learning the basic concepts of architecture (60 min):
- Construction of buildings and towers using Lego® Dacta®
- Demonstration of bridges and buildings
- Project description (The activity guide must be advised of your choice of a bridge and building before the second workshop)
2) Materials provided at this stage – Start-up of various projects (90 min)
3) Continuation of projects (90 min)
4) Tests to ensure the sturdiness of the bridges and buildings and presentation of LEED (60 min) certification.
Objectives at the elementary level:
- Describe how one or several forces can act on a structure (move it, change its movement and stop it).
- Understand the important of the centre of gravity, symmetry and triangular shapes in engineering.
- Conduct research on a bridge or building.
- Consider the constraints on project completion (time, dimensions, strength, teamwork and implementation challenges).
- Design and build a neat, aesthetic structure that respects the environment.
- Trace, cut and stick wooden pieces (liquid glue and clamp).
- Report the results of your research.
Objectives at the secondary level:
- Use different sources of information to conduct research on the chosen structure.
- Identify the constraints in building the structure.
- Determine how to put together the different pieces of the structure.
- Explain the importance of measurements in an architectural project.
- Understand the importance of material management at the economic and environmental level.
- Provide storage space for the materials.
- If there is little time between animation activities, it is strongly recommended to set them up in the same area.
- 5 teams must be created before the science animator arrives.
- All materials are provided by profaqua.