Drinking water and wastewater
Water treated properly!
Where does the water go when a toilet is flushed? Together, we will be able to answer this intriguing question using a multimedia presentation of a water filtration and purification plant and participation in a large-scale activity where youths will save LEGO mini-figures from drowning when they take a shower! They will learn the importance of taking care of this essential natural resource by creating their own drinking water and wastewater circuits. They’ll be sure to turn the taps off the next time they’re brushing their teeth!
For 30 more minutes:
If appropriate facilities are available, we will do a tour of the school’s sewer system!
Objectives at the elementary level:
- Describe the stages of distribution of drinking water and wastewater treatment.
- Describe how humans adapted to their environment to gain access to drinking water and treat wastewater.
- Describe the impact of water quality on the environment and on individuals.
- Understand how underground lines use gravity to deliver water to the filtration plant.
Objectives at the secondary level:
- Describe the treatments for distribution of drinking water and decontamination of wastewater.
- Indicate the causes of drinking water shortages (e.g. desertification, dam construction and stream diversions, as well as increased demand).
- Describe the methods that promote the biodegradation of pollutants.
Describe the impact of water quality on the environment and on individuals.
|Type of service
Elementary: 3rd year, Elementary: 4th year, Elementary: 5th year, Elementary: 6th year, Secondary: 3rd year, Secondary: 4th year, Secondary: 5th year, Elementary: cycle 2, Elementary: cycle 3, Secondary: cycle 2
60 minutes, 90 minutes
Earth and Space
- A sink must be available close to the classes where the animation activities will take place.
- Access to IWB is required to view two brief DVD videos..
- Access to an electrical outlet is required.
- If there isn’t much time between animation activities, it is strongly recommended that they are set up in the same area.